In 1868 W. W. Austin of Winthrop Massachusetts rode a coal-burning steam powered machine at a number of fairs and circuses in the Eastern United States. This machine had a twin cylinder engine with the cylinders flanking the velocipede backbone. The engine was directly connected to the rear wheel spindle by connecting rods. The boiler was carried beneath the chassis beam. His machine was most likely built by Sylvester Howard Roper.
Murray Barnard, Perth, Western Australia
© 1996 mbarnard