The first Morette was built in 1902 and had a two-stroke engine driving the front tire by means of a friction drum. This drum was brought into contact with the front tire through the lowering of the steering tiller.
The Morette of 1903 used a four-cycle single cylinder Clement type engine and the drive to the front wheel was transmitted from an idler shaft to a sprocket on the front hub. The engine had a friction wheel on the crankshaft that could be brought into contact with a friction wheel on the idler shaft through lowering of the steering tiller.
Subsequently, Morette offered a V twin. The front wheel was driven via a chain between an idler shaft and the front hub. A flat belt transmitted power from the engine to the idler shaft. This belt could be tightened or made slack through the steering tiller.
Fixedspeed carburetors were used on all three models. Vehicle speed was controlled by engaging or disengaging the engine or turning the ignition on and off with the twist handle on the steering tiller. The twin could have either of its cylinders cut off in this manner for additional control. On all three of the described models, the brakes were external contracting bands, fitted about pulleys integral with the rear wheel hubs. These bands were tightened by means of a foot pedal. The bench seat, wide enough for two, was sprung while the front and rear wheels were unsprung.
Pic courtesy Richard Friedman