Land Speed Racing [T500]

How to get more pep out of your dunger. Pics of racebikes and anything else.

Land Speed Racing [T500]

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Not much activity here so I thought I'd post up recent LSR results. Last year I only made 3 runs before blowing a head gasket (due to a cracked head) and set the record for production bikes (PG 500/2) at 98 mph. I was learning about aerodynamic positioning which is a huge part of top speed racing. Last weekend I brought the same bike back (with stock aluminum head gaskets this time, not .010" copper) and upped the record to 117.xxx, more in line with what I thought the bike should do. This is for the 1.5 mile event in Maine (at the old Loring air force base). I ran 116.xxx in the mile. A couple of my warmup runs had me going slower at 1.5 miles than the mile but it was pretty hot when that happened. Lots of fun! :mrgreen:
Frank

Re: Land Speed Racing [T500]

Postby muzza » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm

that's more like, these bikes are capable of that sort of speed
setup for racing they were 152mph express trains.
Supreme Curmudgeon, surly git and bad arsed bandicoot.
muzza
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:18 pm

The biggest impediment for me is stock foot peg location. If I could run rear-sets I know there's more in her even with a fairly stock i.e. "stock looking" engine.
Frank

Postby muzza » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:21 am

Frank, you will be interested to read that we are taking a T500 to the Land Speed Record run in Australia next year.

The land speed record runs in Oz are run on lake Gairdner in South Australia, a large salt lake like Bonneville except nearer sea level.

Now to work on the bike and motor, we will be using some race porting and pipes.

One weak point on the T500 is the clutch, we will have to explore options to the standard clutch.

I have heard that Barnett clutch plates are the go, but I would like to also see if a clutch off a newer more powerful later model Suzuki might fit, such as a GSX600 or GSXR750.

Here is a pic of Lake Gairdner....

_DSC0036_DxO_raw.jpg
_DSC0036_DxO_raw.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 75 times
Supreme Curmudgeon, surly git and bad arsed bandicoot.
muzza
Site Admin

Return to Racing the old dungers - TRs, Suzuki racebikes, performance mods etc