Melted Slide boots-how to clean out gunk?

Specifically for ram-air triple freaks

Melted Slide boots-how to clean out gunk?

Postby oldguygt550 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:37 am

Hi guys,
I acquired a fairly good shape 1976 GT550 but the rubber boot protecting the carb slide rod has melted into the carb area. Just what do you guys use to clean it out with, so far I've tried carb cleaner (it barely makes a dent), Go-Jo seems to remove it from my hands but am looking for some type of spray to use while holding the carbs upside down so it just runs out.
I'm willing to try paint thinner, etc, but just don't want to waste money on something that won't do the job well.
Steve
oldguygt550

Re: Melted Slide boots-how to clean out gunk?

Postby TLRam1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:10 am

Have no idea, Ether maybe??
Terry
TLRam1

Postby arne » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Well, I'd probably try a can of gasket remover, brake fluid, transmission fluid, or paint stripper depending upon what was closer to my hand at the time.

Before I did that though I'd get everything I could out with some dull tools.

Good luck - Arne
1954 ST 165 basket case pending
1972 GT 750 project in the works
1983 CX 650 Custom driver
arne

Postby jkevinlilly » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:47 am

The only way was able to remove the melted rubber from mine last year was carb cleaner and elbow grease. And I had to completely disassemble the carbs to do the job right.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
jkevinlilly

Postby jkevinlilly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:02 pm

oldguygt550

How are the carbs coming??

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
jkevinlilly

Postby debby » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Mine are the same way. Funny how they just turn to goo. New ones are still available from Suzuki but I wonder how long they last?

I read a posting somewhere else where the guy made his own by cutting the tips off some rubber gloves and poking holes in the ends. Sounds like it could be worth a try :!:

Debby and the Pathetic GTs
debby

Postby advant63 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:01 pm

i use butyl bicycle tube with small zip ties. they don't seem to be affected by fuel but dry out after a couple of years. not concours, but functional.
UFOB 066
smokin' bastard
advant63

Postby skydrol » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:00 pm

I know this is a year late but someone else might be looking for some info on this. After trying many different chemicals that seemed to have no effect on that melted rubber I noticed that when I washed my hands the lava soap I was using just took the goo right off of my hands. I tried it on the carbs and it worked great..only thing is they need to be taken apart to do it. I did find new ones online for $10 each..$30 is a little steep for a new set of little rubber boots. looking for alternatives right now, I kinda like the rubber glove idea.
Rom10:9
skydrol

Postby jsmith1981 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 am

I just acquired a GT550M. I have not tried to start it yet because the boots were melted and I thought I better clean the carbs first. I was able to get the black goo off with paint stripper and I'm now in the process of re-assembling the carbs with new boots that I bought from suzukipartsnation.com. Which leads me to a question. I can see the need for the lower boots (keep crap out of the throttle slides), but I can't see any real use for the upper boots. It would be much easier to assemble the throttles and make adjustments without those upper boots being in the way. Does anybody know any reason why I should not go without the upper boots, other than it would not be 100% correct?
jsmith1981

Return to GT380/550 triple specific