An erotically charged advertisment for the Zundapp KS601 outfit
The Nuremburg armaments manufacturer Zunder und Apparatebau copied its first motorcycle from the Levis. these simple belt-driven 211cc two-strokes were later increased to 250cc. Zundapp was soon one of germany's largest motorcycle manufactureres with 200cc and 300cc light-weights and some 4 stroke singles using Rudge-Python engines. In 1933 Zundapp introduced flat-twin shaft driven 400 and 500cc machines and 600cc and 800cc flat fours. During WWII KS750 flat twins were supplied to the Wehrmacht. After the war the 600cc flat-twin and 200cc two-strokes were retained. In 1953 the 150cc Bella scooter and clip-on bicycle engines were introduced. the range of light-weights was expanded to include two-strokes from 50cc to 250cc. the flat-twins were dropped in 1957. Road and off-road machines were developed throughout the 60s and 70s however the company finally collapsed in 1984 and the remains were sold to China and continue to be produced as the Tianjin.
The Zundapp K800
Back to index page
Murray Barnard, Perth, Western Australia
© 1996 mbarnard